Saturday, October 23, 2010

A busy day for dad

Some days I have to step aside from everything else I do, work, business, running and doing things around the house, and do things for, and with my kids. Friday was one of those days.

I started the day by going to Pittsburgh and picking up Erin, my 19-year-old daughter, from college. She wanted to come home to attend a Halloween party with her boyfriend. It was a refreshing trip because we talked for almost an hour on the way home.

And she did most of the talking. It was unlike previous trips when she hardly opened her mouth. Granted, she slept the second half of the trip home, but I was pleased.

I got home and only had about an hour before I had to meet son Justin and my ex-wife at his high school for senior band photos. Justin is quite the social butterfly, knowing all his bandmates and many of the parents. He was joking with them the entire time we were waiting to get our pictures taken.

Later, during halftime of the football game, I stood at the 50 yard line with Justin and his mother as we were introduced. At that moment, I realized how grown up he is. He will attend college in less than a year.  The years have flown by.

After the game, I came home and played with my toddler daughter, Katie while watching the baseball playoffs. It's great to experience fatherhood again with a child so innocent. She doesn't ask for much, just my time.

If you think about it, that's all most kids want, your time and love. It was a rare day I had time to spend with all three kids, at different stages of their lives. It was a day I will remember for a long time.

No comments:

Post a Comment